I wrote in an earlier post that becoming a professional futurist was one of the most basic and most obvious ways to become wealthy through ‘investing in the future’. Of course, being a professional futurist can entail advising other individuals and companies how to invest in tech stocks etc. So how do you reach a point where you can make a living through a career as a futurist. According to Wikipedia, ‘Ross Dawson is a Australian author, futurist, entrepreneur and former stockbroker. Best known for his 2002 book ‘Living Networks’, Dawson founded the futures think tank Future Exploration Network and consults on digital futures to various big organisations such as Ernst & Young, Macquarie Bank, Microsoft and News Corp.’
Ross Dawson recently gave some advice on his blog as to 10 Key Elements of a Career Thinking About the Future. Here they are summarized below :
- Backgrounds in diverse domains.
- Exposure to variety in study, work and society.
- Mastering systems thinking.
- Building capability and credibility.
- Education and self-education.
- Career paths.
- Social networking.
- Professional development.
- Mentoring and fostering connections.